I have read many articles all over the web that you don’t need a degree to be a successful Entrepreneur. Though I completely agree with this point and believe that Success is not about reading textbooks or doing MBA but still there are many Entrepreneurial Lessons which you learn in College time and you don’t even realize that.
1) Teamwork: Running a successful business depends upon the teamwork. A good team is the backbone of a company. You can’t do it alone. When you’re in college, you are learning this attribute all the time. For instance, while making projects, organizing events or even during group fights. You always need the support of your friends or batch-mates.
There’s a saying, ” A team with a star performer is a good team, but a team without one is a great team”.
In college, you always have a great team – bunch of passionate learners who wants to excel in everything in life.
2) Leadership: In colleges, students always form these small groups to hang out, watch movies and do everything together. And in these groups, there is always a leader who is taking most of the group decisions.
Leadership is all about making people say, ” I will do anything for you”.
So, you might not realize but you are actually nurturing your leadership qualities by taking those small decisions and making people stand for you.
3) Managing Limited Resources: Let’s accept the fact that we always have limited cash resources during college time. And still we’re able to manage our alcohol expenditure, phone bills, movies with girlfriend and other expensive activities.
In college time only, we started to learn the virtue of improvised arrangement or adaptability because of lack of resources termed as “Jugaad”.
4) Guts and Perseverance: You lose your first love. You have your first heartbreak. You fail in exams while your friend is getting good marks. But still you learn to stand up again to find a new love. You study hard day and night to get better marks.
Because Entrepreneurs never give up. Rovio made 51 unsuccessful games before their overnight success with Angry Birds. Always remember, every failure will take you one step closer to success.
5) Passion: College is the time when you realize that you want to be an Entrepreneur, or an actor, or a singer. If you love something and passionate about it, do give it a try. Twenty years from now you’ll be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
Though many people will try to drag you down by saying that you can’t do it. But just follow your instinct and passion and just do it.
Life is short. Live your dream. And wear your passion.