I always wanted to work in Sales. Sales is the foundation of any business. There’s a saying that,” If you are good in sales, you can be successful in anything in life”. Though it’s not true all the time but Sales Job is something which teaches you a lot about yourself and the customers and everyone should do sales job once in their life. It’s all about selling yourself – if you can present yourself well in front of the customers and build good relations, you can easily sell the product.
Though the most important part of Sales is to create value for the prospects in able to turn them into customers.
An entrepreneur who lacks basic selling skills will find hard to be successful.
1) You need to Sell Yourself to Sell the Product: Selling yourself here means building good relations and trust with the customers with your attributes of honesty and professionalism and listening to their wants and needs and then providing the best solution for their specific problem.
The first time when you enter a prospects’ office, they do not know which product you’re selling. The first thing they will notice is you and how you’re introducing yourself and the company.
Businesses are also made successful by people. Take an example of Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. It is mainly because of them Apple and Microsoft became so successful.
2) Not Everyone is Potential Customer: Before going on a cold call, salespeople always map the area to find out the best potential customers with the enough buying resources. In the business too, find out your best target market and potential customers. This will help to save your time, resources and you can focus on few very important potential customers. Always Remember, ten loyal customers are better than 30 customers who will not repeat purchase with your company.
3) Being Manipulative Works But Not in the longer run: There are two types of salespeople -Manipulative and Genuine. If the product is new in the market, then being manipulative might work for you. You might do good number of initial sales. But to be successful and drive regular sales in the longer run and in such a cut-throat competition these days, you need to be pretty honest with your customers and should try to solve their problems. Now honest here doesn’t mean that you should tell all the weak points of your product. Being Honest means to promise only those things which you can deliver.
4) Handling Pressure: The best part of Sales Job is that it teaches you how to handle pressure. Every day you have to report to your immediate manager. Every week you have to send Weekly reports to your senior manager. Every month you have review meets. And Every second you are afraid of losing your job if you’re not completing your targets. But if you’re able to handle this pressure, you can always handle different uncertainties that you will face in your business.
5) Service is Everything: It doesn’t matter for the customer how great your product is if you’re not providing good service. The customer in no time will shift to an average product with better services over your product.
6) If nine prospects say No,Don’t loose hope.. 10th one Still Could Say yes: This is the best thing I’ve learned in my Sales Job. Just never lose hope. In the business too, you only need to make one thing right to make it successful as long as you don’t do many things wrong.
7) Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone: In Sales job, your income is directly associated with your effort and skills. You need to come out of your comfort zone, overcome any shyness and hesitation and have to bring results.
Similarly, these traits will help you to get success in the business too.