After setting up your branded Email account with Google Apps, the next step is to change the URL where you can access your Email and other services in Google Apps. The default URL to access Google apps is www.google.com/a/yourdomain.com but today we will discuss how to change this control panel address into a short custom URL such as mail.yourdomain.com.
Here is the Step By Step Tutorial To Change URL To Access Email in Google Apps:
1) Login to your control panel in Google Apps – https://www.google.com/a/yourdomain.com
2) Click on Settings tab and choose Email Settings.
3) Choose General settings of Email and click on “Change URL” in the web address row. The default address for users to access Email is at:
4) Now choose the Custom URL i.e. mail.yourdomain.com and click on continue.
5) You will be asked to change the CNAME record with your domain host. This will connect the new URL of your web host’s control panel to Google servers.
Here is the process to change the CNAME record for Hostgator:
a) Log into your Control Panel of your Hostgator account.
b) Click on the Advanced DNS ZONE Editor icon under Domains Tab.
c) Select your domain
d) Go to “Add Record”. Select the record type as CNAME. Write Name as ‘Mail’, set TTL to 3600 and write ghs.googlehosted.com next to CNAME. ( If mail.yourdomain.com already exists, then edit these same settings in that record.)
e) Click Add Record.
f) And it is done! The settings may take up to 24 hours to come into effect.
6) Now get back to Google Apps page and finish the remaining easy steps.
Note: This tutorial will only change the URL to access Email. If you want to change URL for other services, then follow the same procedure and just choose the respective service(for which you want to change the URL) in the settings.Click Here To Like our Facebook Page to get regular jobs, exams and study material updates.