After setting up your first website or blog, the next thing every webmaster wants to do is to set up a branded Email address ending with the domain name. It means that if your website address is www.yourdomain.com, then your branded Email address would look like email@example.com. In this tutorial, we will be using Google Apps to set up Gmail account for your own domain name. That means you can manage all your emails received at your website’s branded email address straight in your very own custom Gmail account.
Here is the Step by Step Tutorial to Setup Google Email For Your Domain:
1) Go To Google Apps.
2) Click on Pricing and Choose Free service for Google apps. In the free service, you can set up Email for 10 users with a single domain name. If you want more user accounts, you can choose the business plan.
Update: Google Kills Free Version of Google Apps
3) Fill in all the details and submit it.
4) Now a window will popup as shown in the picture above, Choose Express here and click on ‘Go Express’.
5) Now you need to verify your domain ownership. Click on Next and again next.
6) Verify your domain ownership. Click on Alternate methods and choose HTML Tag(Recommended Method). Paste this Meta tag in the ‘Head section’ before the first ‘Body Section. Or if you’re using SEO Ultimate Plugin or SEO Plugin by Yoast, then just paste the Meta tag in the verification option given in these plugins.
See Also: Top 15 Must Have Plugins For Your new WordPress Blog
7) Now to start receiving mails on your account, you need to change your domain’s MX records. An MX (mail exchanger) record tells a client which server receives mail sent to a domain name. To do that, Login to your hosting account. Find the MX records which are located in the Mail Server Configuration. Delete all existing MX entries. And enter the MX records shown in the picture above. Read more here.
Now Go to Google Apps, open “Setup” tab, click on “Set up Your Apps”, Open GMail, Click on Next and finish the steps.
8) Now you’re done. Login to www.gmail.com using your new username – firstname.lastname@example.org and password. You can also access your branded Email and other services of Google apps by visiting www.google.com/a/yourdomain.com. And if you want to change this control panel URL into a short custom URL such as mail.yourdomain.com. Read How To Change URL To Access Email in Google Apps.
I hope this Tutorial will help you to set up your personal branded Email address. Questions and suggestions are welcome.
Youngblah strongly recommends Hostgator Hosting for all of your web hosting needs. Sign up today for WordPress Hosting starting at just $4.95 per month.
Use coupon code “youngblah25” to get 25% discount on all hosting packages. Get an account with Hostgator now!