Social Media is the new hot space for job seekers. As more and more employment opportunities are coming up in this space, many of us are trying to figure out how to get a foot in the door. Social Media is more than just updating various social media profiles of the company. It is about connecting with customers, building relationships, increase sales, customer services and much more. Check this simple checklist guide by Mindflash.com to prepare yourself for Social Media jobs.
Facebook has come a long way in the last one year especially when it comes to advertising. It has evolved into one big marketing platform for brands all over the world. As Facebook’s COO Sheryl Sandberg says, “Facebook enables brands to find their voices… and to have genuine, personal relationships with their customers,” And certainly it does.
With more than 1 billion users now, you simply cannot avoid the power of Facebook and what wonders it can do for you and your brand. All you need is the right kind of ads for your brands to reach and connect with your target user base.
See Also: Social Media Guide For Small Businesses
Let’s take a look at different types of Ads on Facebook:
1) Promoted Posts:
Promoted Posts is a new feature launched by Facebook earlier this year that allows you to promote specific posts of your pages. This feature is only available for pages with at least 400 likes or profiles with less than 5,000 friends or subscribers. You can promote a post only within three days of its posting.
How To Promote a Post:
The promote feature is available at the bottom of every post you’ve posted recently. Click on it, set your budget, choose the payment method and you’re done. It will also show you the estimated reach of the post at that amount.
You can target the promoted posts by location or language by clicking on the public button when creating the post and adjusting the options accordingly.
Posts promotions can always be paused and restarted and you can even adjust your budget by clicking the “Promoted for $Y” at the bottom of your post & then clicking on the gear menu in the bottom-left-hand corner. You can also stop the promotion anytime by visiting the Ad Manager section on Facebook.
Why Promoted Posts is Useful:
Facebook uses an algorithm – Edgerank to rank posts in the Facebook News feed. Due to this, a regular post of your brand page reaches only 6-16 per cent of your fans. So, promoted posts can help you reach your entire fans base. Not only that, you can also gain new fans using “Promoted Posts” feature.
The promoted posts will appear in the news feed of the people who “liked” your page, and also in the news feed of the friends of all users who liked or interacted with your post on the Facebook page.
What Type of Content Should you promote?
– Photos and Videos that are most likely to go viral.
– Exclusive offers, news or events.
2) Sponsored Stories:
Sponsored stories are the stories about people liking a page or any specific post to their friends in the News Feed. So, basically these are the posts from advertisers that appear in your News feed when your friends engage with a Page, application or event that a business has paid to highlight so there is a better chance people see them.
Sponsored Stories and Promoted posts are the only ads that appear in the News Feed of Facebook’s mobile apps users, where more than 60% of Facebook users are.
Types of Sponsored Stories:
a) Page Like Story: Stories about people liking your page to their friends in the news feed. Make sure your profile picture is good enough to attract user attention and generate more likes and engagement.
b) Page Post Like Story: Stories about people liking your post to their friends in the news feed. Make sure the content of the post is good enough to generate likes and shares from users.
3) Facebook Standard Ads:
Facebook Standard Ads are those ads which are shown in the right hand column of Facebook.
Types of Facebook Standard Ads:
a) External URL(Website) Ad: You can create ads with destination URL of your website. These type of ads are used to bring traffic to your website. But Facebook charges higher rates when you direct users to an external URL.
b) Facebook Pages Ads: These type of ads are used when you want users to direct to your Facebook page.
c) Sponsored Post Ad: You can also show specific posts of your page as ads in the right hand column of Facebook.
d) Application Ad: You can direct users to your application using Facebook ads.
e) Event Ad: You can spread the word about your upcoming event using Facebook ads.
4) Facebook Exchange:
Facebook Exchange (FBX) is a new way of purchasing Facebook ads through real-time bidding using information about users collected from their visits to other sites. Using Facebook Exchange, you can serve more relevant ads to users via approved Demand-Side Platforms (DSPs) based on intent (cookie-based) data about users visiting other sites.
This feature is still in the early stages but various reports has shown that the results are off the charts and very effective.
Here’s the data from 3 companies in the Facebook Exchange(FBX) program:
- AdRoll saw 16X ROI in Facebook Exchange ads for its clients.
- TellApart clients noted a CTR of 6.65% on FBX ads, compared to 6.41% on Google’s Adwords.
- Triggit’s FBX Ads noted 4X higher return on assets (or profit), 2.2X higher post-click conversion rates, and 6.5X less cost per click-through order than on traditional ad exchanges.
5) Log out Ads:
Log-out ads are the ads that users will see after logging out of Facebook. It is a premium promotional tool and will be shown only on the log out screen. The log out ad can include anything such as photos, events, videos, etc. The user doesn’t have to be connected to that page in any way to see log out promotions.
The log out ads could cost you anywhere between Rs. 30-40 Lakhs and can only be purchased through Facebook’s Internal Sales team.
How To Improve ROI on Facebook Ads?
– Take advantage of unparalleled targeting parameters of Facebook while creating ads such as demographics, interests, connections, etc. Your ad will perform better if it is targeted to users who are interested in your product or service. For better targeting and functionality of ads, use Facebook Power Editor (facebook.com/ads/manage/powereditor/).
– Promoted posts and Sponsored stories are the most effective ads (both results in higher CTR) whether you want to increase your likes or engagement.
– Do not use only one type of ad for your brand. Try different types of ads, measure the effectiveness and focus on the one with best results.
– Try a new ad copy 1-3 times per week. Use close-up pictures of people in your ad copy or readable text with vibrant colors to increase CTR.
– Use effective call-to-action words such as ‘Grab this deal”, “Don’t miss this opportunity”, etc.
So, are you using Facebook ads? Which of these ads has proved to be most effective for your brand?
There has been huge debate recently about Facebook posts’ reach and its ever controversial EdgeRank algorithm. Ever since the launch of Promoted posts, many marketers are noticing the fall of their posts’ reach drastically. This may be due to the recent changes in the EdgeRank algorithm. An average Facebook post now reaches only 5-15% of your fans.
According to a NapkinLabs study(reported by Mashable), just 6% or less of Facebook fans engage with Facebook pages by liking, sharing, or commenting. The study was conducted with brand pages having between 200,000 & 1 million fans.
Socialbakers.com also found that the most engaging post, by Rolls-Royce, had an engagement rate of only 5.74%.
Now a new data from MarketingCharts reveals that an average of 1/3rd of a post’s reach is obtained in the first ten minutes of being posted, & the rest is obtained in the following seven hours. So, total shelf life of a Facebook post is only 7 hours.
So, you need to find out the best time to share your posts and don’t hesitate to share important posts twice or thrice on different times to reach maximum number of your fans.
See Also: The Best and Worst Times on Social Media
Also, check out this interesting Infographic about Facebook engagement.
Social Media is the new revolutionary platform for businesses. It has completely transformed the way we connect with customers and generate new leads. There are so many social media sites these days that it gets confusing for businesses where to start with. Every social network is unique and important in its own way. So, it’s really crucial to integrate the use of Cross Channel Digital Advertising Solutions for the all-round development of your company.
1) Facebook – To Engage with customers
Personal networks are for school and college buddies. When people use Facebook – they tend to be in a casual mindset looking to socialize, be entertained and kill time. They are just passing the time away.
Users on Facebook expect to see updates from friends & family, information & updates about their personal interests and entertainment content.
To be successful on Facebook, you have to align your strategy with the mindset of users. If you’re going to distract casual mindset of users by talking only about your brand, you are most likely going to fail. Instead, share humorous content and updates surrounding your industry to get users attention and in no time they will start engaging with your brand.
Few Tips for Facebook Marketing:
– Humor Sells.
E.g. Indian Ecommerce startup bewakoof.com is doing great in terms of engagement and traction by sharing humorous content on their Facebook page.
– Target Emotional Quotient of users.
E.g. Spring in the Air, a flower supplier based in Florida shared a letter from a Mother to her daughter just before Mother’s Day this year. In no time, the post went viral and has received 82,475 likes, 477,113 shares and 23,232 comments till now. Before this post, their Facebook page had less than 2,000 fans and now they have more than 16,000 fans.
– Engage in conversation. Reply to comments and wall posts. Ask Questions. (Read: Top 5 Tools To Increase Engagement on Facebook)
– Share rich media content such as photos and videos to get more likes and shares.
2) LinkedIn – To Generate new leads
Unlike Facebook, LinkedIn is the network for professionals. When people use LinkedIn – they are looking for new opportunities, current news and insightful discussions. People may not spend much time on LinkedIn as much as they do on Facebook but whatever time they spend, they are looking to gain something out of it.
Few Tips For LinkedIn Marketing:
– Participate in conversation on LinkedIn groups. Solve a problem and people will notice you.
– Do not spam your wall or LinkedIn groups with irrelevant updates.
3) Pinterest – To increase visibility of your brand
Pinterest is the next big thing in Social Media. It gives brands a chance to showcase their creative side. Users on Pinterest are hungry for creative and visual content. More than 70 per cent of Pinterest users are female, so you have to keep this in mind while developing your strategy for Pinterest.
Recent reports show that Pinterest provides more referral traffic to other sites than Google+, LinkedIn & YouTube combined.
Few Tips For Pinterest Marketing:
– Use hashtags so people can easily discover your content.
– Pin only original and creative content.
– Add detail information and links in the description of your pins.
4) Twitter – To Share Links & Current news and for Better Customer Service
Twitter is the best news channel. Unlike Facebook or LinkedIn, you can use your Twitter wall to share all kind of information.
Few Tips For Twitter Marketing:
– Do not use affiliate links in your tweets.
– Do not spam your followers’ inbox with messages to sell a product or service.
– Use hashtags as it will make your tweets more searchable and visible in various applications people use to find trending topics.
– Follow people with similar interests to increase your followers.
– Give quick response to customers’ queries.
5) Google+ – To organize hangouts and make your content Search friendly
Google+ is the new social network from Google. If used properly, it can give your content a huge boost in search rankings. The main idea behind launching Google+ is to make search more social and around your friends. Apart from that, you can also use it to organize hangouts with your followers and customers.
Few Tips For Google+ Marketing:
– Increase your followers that will benefit you more in search rankings.
– Increase “+1” on your content.
– Include keywords in the profile description and your posts.
– Include hashtags for better search visibility.
– Organize hangouts to connect with your customers in a more personal way.
6) YouTube, Reddit and StumbleUpon – To Go Viral
YouTube is the biggest video sharing website on the web. Many brands became successful only due to their presence on YouTube. Have you heard the story of Orabrush Tongue Cleaner?
After spending thousands of dollars on traditional advertising, a man created a video for just $500 to explain the benefits of Orabrush and posted on YouTube. Within the first few months, the video went viral and now he is running one of the most successful businesses across the United States.
StumbleUpon is a discovery engine to find cool things on the internet. It allow users to find and rate web pages, videos and photos on the web that are personalized to their tastes & interests using peer-sourcing and social-networking principles. If your content goes viral on StumbleUpon, it can easily bring 1-2 lacs visitors on your website within the time frame of 3-5 days.
Stereomood.com is a web based application that allows users to listen to music that matches a certain emotion they’re currently in. This simple web service received more than 4, 00,000 hits from StumbleUpon itself within the first few months of its launch.
Reddit is a kind of social bookmarking site where registered users submit content (links, photos, videos, etc.) and other users vote the submission with up or down to rank the content and determine its position on the website’s pages and front page. Just like StumbleUpon, it can also bring huge amount of visitors to your website if your post reaches front page of the website.
7) Tumblr – To Showcase Personal Side of your company
Tumblr is a micro blogging platform & social networking site where users post multimedia content to their blogs. As a business, you can showcase the personal side of your employees and business on Tumblr.
Check out the Tumblr blog of Mashable at mashablehq.com where you can find behind the scenes look at Mashable from within its headquarters.
Social Media is a great platform that allows brands to connect with customers directly. The ultimate goal of Social Media marketing should be to turn your customers into personal evangelist. And all this can be achieved only through integrated use of different social media platforms.
Just like Facebook, Twitter and Google+, Pinterest also introduced a feature for profile pages that allows you to verify your website on Pinterest. The new feature will highlight your full site URL on your Pinterest profile pages. “When your site is verified, users will see a checkmark next to your domain name in search results. They will also see the full site URL & checkmark on your profile.”
This feature will be available to all the profiles within a week or so, so it is possible that you won’t see the verify website option in your settings immediately.
How to Verify Your Website on Pinterest
1) Log in to your account and go to Pinterest.com/settings.
2) If the verified option is available to you, then choose “Verify Website”(Positioned next to the field where you fill your website information).
3) Download the HTML Verification file.
4) Log in to your Hosting account. Select “File Manager” under Files section. Then select “Home Directory” and click on “Go”. There, open the “public_html” folder and upload the HTML file you’ve downloaded from Pinterest.
5) Click on “Click here” on the Pinterest verification page to complete the process. You can later delete the HTML file from your public_html folder.
For now, the verified option is only for “top-level” domains such as youngblah.com, and not youngblah.wordpress.com. Most blogging platforms (such as Blogger or WordPress) and eCommerce sites (such as Etsy, eBay) do not allow you to upload HTML files. Tumblr is an exception; step by step process for verifying a Tumblr blog can be found here.
It’s a great step by Pinterest to increase the visibility of official content creators and brand profiles. Also, the link from Pinterest to your website is “Dofollow”, so I’m sure it will also benefit webmasters in their SEO efforts.
So, what do you think of this move by Pinterest? Have you verified your website yet?
Leave a comment if you’re having any problem verifying your website.
YouTube is the most popular video sharing site on the web and the second largest search engine after Google. Yes, it’s bigger than Yahoo and Bing search. Everyday, millions of people search for relevant videos on YouTube and Google. And there lies an big opportunity. As most of the people upload videos without taking account any factors for video SEO, you can rank higher in search results by using following well proved techniques.
1) YouTube Keyword Suggestion Tool:
The first and foremost rule for successful YouTube SEO is the keyword research. YouTube Keyword Suggestion Tool will suggest you keywords to choose for your videos along with the information on monthly searches on those keywords in a given location or through out the world. You should also use Google Keyword Suggestion Tool along with YouTube tool to decide more relevant keywords for your videos.
2) Include Keywords in Video filename:
The next thing you should do is to include topic keywords in the video file name that you upload. The name of the video file should match the keywords you’re targeting. For example, if your video is about Non veg cooking – then your video file name should be something like “Non-Veg-cooking.mpeg”. Do not upload videos with name such as “Mov123.mpeg”.
3) Include keywords in the Title:
Just like On-Page SEO techniques for any webpage, include your keyword in the title and try to put it at the start and end of the headline for better SEO results. But remember, title should be enticing enough to increase your CTR(Click Through Rate). YouTube algorithm also takes into account CTR of videos to rank them in search results. Don’t just include keywords for the sake of it. Your title/headline is the first impression of your videos.
4) Include keywords in the descriptions and Tags:
Description- Description gives search engines more information about your videos. For better keywords relevancy, always include keywords and variation of keywords in the description. You can do so by explaining more about your videos or you can also add the complete script of your video in the description for Google and YouTube to index it. It is recommended that you should also put a URL back to your website.
If you are putting a URL link in the description, use http:// before the URL or else it will not work!
YouTube only allows approx. 22 words for the description before the (see below) button. Try to put URL and your keywords early in the first 22 words.
Tags- I would recommend to use 6-10 appropriate tags for each video and do include keywords in the tags also.
5) Improve SEO with Closed Captions
At the bottom right corner of videos, you can notice a “CC” button which stands for Closed Captions. You can see the captions of any video by clicking on “CC” button. Google is using a speech-to-text conversion technology which will convert your video voice over into captions. But the results won’t be accurate.
So, it is always advisable to upload your own caption transcript file than letting YouTube automatically transcribe the audio itself.
YouTube uses a speech recognition feature that will automatically detect each line of your video and matches it to the transcript file. That means you just have to upload the transcript file and the captions will automatically appear exactly in sync with the video.
Google and YouTube indexes the captions of videos to determine the relevancy of keywords in the video and rank them higher in search results.
6) Authoritative YouTube Channel:
If you’re uploading videos to a new YouTube channel, your videos won’t rank higher in search results as compared to new videos by a authoritative channel in the same niche. This is similar to a new website SEO – fresh content by a new blog Vs fresh content by authoritative website such as mashable.com.
So, build your subscribers and upload lot of relevant videos to improve your YouTube channel SEO. And just like a website, upload videos regularly for better SEO results.
7) Off-Page SEO Techniques:
Just like Off-Page SEO techniques for any webpage, try to get many backlinks for your videos from high PR sites all over the web to rank higher in YouTube and Google search results.
To increase backlinks, share your videos on social networking and social bookmarking sites. Blog about it and ask other bloggers to write about your videos.
8) More Engagement Means Better SEO:
Try to increase engagement on your videos. Get more likes, favorites, & comments, respond to comments and ask readers to subscribe to your channel. YouTube takes all these factors into consideration while ranking videos in search results.
Update: According to a recent announcement, YouTube now will reward engaging videos that keep viewers watching in order to decide the rankings of videos in YouTube search. So, it’s not enough to get someone to click on your videos, you have got to get them to actually watch if you want your work to rank higher in search results. YouTube’s analytic will now include a “time watched” feature.
So what are the techniques you’re adopting to improve the search ranking of your videos? Do share in comments.
Now that you’ve taken the first step to include Social Media in your marketing efforts, it’s time to make the best use of it by having a Social Media Strategy into place.
If you are taking your business on Social Media without an end goal in mind, it is most likely to fail and you’ll end up saying “Social Media is not working for us”.
Social Media strategy is as important as any other business strategy.
This Infographic from Number 8 Communications & BigThunk explains 4 steps to a Social Media Strategy.
1. Define your goals – What are you trying to accomplish with your Social Media efforts? Whether you’re looking for brand exposure or lead generation or just customer service through Social Media.
2. Define your metrics – How you’re going to measure the success of your strategy? More Facebook fans or more revenue. What will be your performance metrics.
3. Decide on tactics – How you are going to accomplish your goals?
4. Execute your strategy – Measure & Refine.
As a Social Media expert, it is crucial to understand the users’ different mindsets on personal & professional social networks. You just can’t have the same strategy for all the social networks. Just as people keep their personal life separate from their professional ones, they also have different emotions while visiting personal networks such as Facebook and professional networks such as LinkedIn.
The new study from LinkedIn explains why marketers should understand different mindsets of users on different social networks so they can better integrate their social media marketing strategies. Though most of the small businesses never even care to include LinkedIn in their Social Media Marketing strategy but it can be a valuable marketing asset esp. for lead generation.
Pinterest is the next big thing in Social Media for businesses. The new social network is full of users hungry for creative and visual content your company has to offer. Over the last one year, this social media site has become a valuable marketing tool for businesses.
Check out this Ultimate Guide To Pinterest from CEO.com about how Pinterest can help your business to stand out and drive more traffic and sales on your website.
Few Tips To Share Content on Pinterest:
1) Just as the Facebook ‘Like’ and Twitter ‘Tweet’ Button, add the Pin-it button on your website to allow users to pin and share your content on their Pinterest profiles.
2) Add links in the descriptions of your pins to drive more referral traffic to your website from Pinterest.
3) Create a video gallery to share informative and viral videos on your Pinterest profile.
4) Use hashtags to make content easily searchable.
5) Feature offline events to build buzz on the Internet.
6) Create a Case Study gallery to display insightful data from your business. You can share presentations from slideshare on Pinterest.
7) Don’t repin just everything. Only repin the best content.
8) Select attractive board covers.
9) Always add helpful descriptions on your pins.
10) Share original content to avoid any copyright issue.
11) Be interesting.
The retail industry is the highest-spending sector when it comes to online advertising. By the end of 2012, Retail Industry Advertising will represent 22% of all online advertising spend.
Retailers are turning to Facebook in order to meet its target registrations, viral invites, email subscribes, add-to-carts, & ultimately purchases and lifetime customer value. Facebook with its unparalleled targeting parameters from interests to demographics and actions, is certainly doing wonders for Advertisers.
Check out the Infographic to find out how Ecommerce companies are leveraging Facebook Ads.
There’s been a lot of debate lately about the performance of Facebook Ads. Prior to IPO, GM ended their US $10 million advertising campaign with Facebook saying that paid ads had a very little effect on the customers. Falling Stock price is also a result of weak ad revenue model of Facebook.
Facebook just released this Infographic to explain the effectiveness of their Ads. There are 955 million monthly active users on Facebook. On an average, every user spend 6:35 hours on Facebook per month. Facebook also explains how you can target the right customers with better targeting.
Due to the rise of Internet all over the world, the Internet marketing industry continues to evolve and gain momentum. Consumers are no longer rely on Outbound marketing such as TV ads and Billboards — to find out about new products. Inbound Marketing involves two-way dialogue between the brand and the consumers which is largely facilitated by Social Media.
Here are some statistics from the Infographic below:
– The no. of marketers that say Facebook is crucial for their business has increased 83% in the last 2 years.
– 67% of B2C companies and 41% of B2B companies have acquired a customer through Facebook.
– 57% have acquired a customer through their company blog and 42% have acquired a customer through Twitter.
– Inbound Marketing costs 62% less per lead than traditional outbound marketing.
– 86% of people skip TV Commercials.