After Installing WordPress, there are few things which you need to do before you start posting on your blog.
[ Read: How to Install WordPress and Start Blogging – Complete Guide].
It is very important to make the following changes in order to make your blog prefect for readers and search engines.
Design and Basic Settings
1) WordPress Themes: The default theme when you’ll install WordPress may be Twenty Ten or Twenty Eleven. First thing you need to do is to select a good wordpress theme according to your requirements.
Read Top 7 Best Free WordPress Photography Themes 2012 and 11 Free Premiun WordPress Magazine Themes.
2) Add Favicon and Logo of the Blog: Read How To Create and Add a Favicon To Your WordPress Blog.
3) Add Categories and Pages: When you install WordPress, the only default category is “Uncategorized”. So, add some categories by clicking on Posts> Categories.
4) Adjust your time zone under ‘general’ settings.
5) Create a new administrator with new username and password and remove the default admin username.
Read this Post, Top 15 Must Have Plugins for your new WordPress Blog.
Though there are many other good plugins too but it all depends on your requirements. The plugins mentioned above are the basic and important plugins required for the proper functionality of your blog.
Search Engine Optimization
1) Customize Permalink Structure: The default permalinks in wordpress are in the shape of www.youngblahn.com/?p=25. which is not good for SEO. So, change this permalink structure, by visiting “Permanlinks Settings” from your WordPress Dash Board.
I’d recommend you to select this permalink structure – “http://youngblah.com/sample-post/”.
2) Add your Blog Title and Tagline in “General Setting”. But I’d recommend you to use “WordPress SEO By Yoast’ Plugin” to adjust all your SEO settings.
3) Set your blog with Google Webmaster Tools(It will help your site to index quickly) and Google Analytics(To Monitor your traffic stats).
4) Install PubSubHubbub Plugin that notifies all major search engines in a much faster way(real time).
5) Add a FeedBurner RSS Feed in your blog so that your visitors can be automatically informed about a new blog post.
So, now your blog is ready. You can start writing articles. These are some of the basic and important things that you need to do initially. But getting organic traffic from search engines is not that easy. You need to optimize each and every page with keywords, meta information, headings, title, alt-tag, etc.
Feel Free to post comments and questions, if you have any problems. Tell us about our post.
Keep visiting this space for more updates on blogging.
You can also subscribe to our newsletter here.